OLD JAPAN: OPENING HIS FIRST THIRD EYE?


Tossai shambles into my Zendo, or meditation hall, and commences Zazen, which is sitting meditation; and as usual tries to grab forty winks. He needs a Koan or two.

Koans are essential but sometimes shocking riddles used for opening the neophyte's third eye. Tossai has trouble opening just two today, so I summon him and demand: "Why so much sitting?"

"Because I wish to be a Buddha."

In reply, I take up a rough floor tile and rub it with my robe.

"Why are you doing this, Master?"

"Because I wish to make you a mirror!"

Tossai nods slowly, and presently becomes much more awake in his quest for awakening. But then, sidestepping the middle way, he tries a little too hard at our following audience.

"Master, it might take me ten years to reach Satori, but how long will it take if I study with twice the effort?"

"Twenty years, "I reply. "With one eye fixed on the destination, only one eye remains to find the way."

For a promising moment, his face is lit by Buddha nature, until he yawns again. Oh hum, I reflect later, sitting in my temple benjo: all beings are in flux, and some are more fluxed than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment