OLD JAPAN: BIG ZEN, TIME AND ILLUSION

My neophyte monk Tossai walks up from Edo lake, late for his KOANS as usual. Zen koans create a state of intellectual tension conducive to attaining enlightenment.

"Master, what is time anyway?"

"An illusion," I reply, but he whinges that it's no illusion for him, he's getting older by the day: almost all his acne is gone!

"Then meditate on this," I growl quietly. "The very oldest man on Earth is still alive." And for a second, his eyes gleam with enlightenment. But then he blinks and it is gone. "What is illusion, Master?"

"Do you see that I am not holding a benjo stick?"

"Yes I see that stick," he replies.

"Then go and wipe your neophyte bum with it!"

Little Tossai tastes Satori, and the shock tumbles him backwards into my Koi pond. Sitting up, he whispers "Miso No Koro." - A mind like still water. I think he's got it...


No comments:

Post a Comment